[placement][ptg] Allocation Partitioning

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Tue Apr 16 16:13:47 UTC 2019

> Obviously, all consumers are currently Nova instances in placement
> since (AFAIK) no other services have begun using placement to store
> allocations.

This is not the case, actually. In Nova, we can have consumers that are
instances, as well as consumers that are migrations (related to
instances, but distinct). In order to be able to distinguish between the
two, a partitioning key (I'd prefer we call this consumer type too) is
needed. The quota work needs this specifically, so that we can know the
usage by instances separately from usage that is reserved or pinned by
an ongoing migration.

>> How urgent is this? Is there anyone available to do the work this
>> cycle? How damaging is it to punt to U? What details are missing in
>> the above description?

I guess we defer this question to Melanie, but I think the ability to
count most of the quota elements we want using placement instead of the
current method hinges on the ability to distinguish these things.

--Dan