[PTL][release][stable] Pike transitioning to Extended Maintenance phase

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Apr 8 07:31:52 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 03:15:57PM -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Thought I should get this out there to make sure folks are aware.
>
> We are actually overdue for Pike to have entered extended maintenance.
> According to the stable policy, that should happen 18 months after the release
> [0]. That means we should have made the switch in February, if my math is
> right.
>
> We will need to work through the details to actually put that in effect, but
> for now I wanted to remind teams that we do not do releases after a stable
> branch enters this phase. So this is a call for action for any teams that have
> been backporting fixes that time is short to get a final release out while you
> can.
>
> The release dates for each cycle can be found on the releases site [1].

Thanks Sean!

How about this to catch us up:

1. This week I'll propose one change per team[1] to create a release
   from the current HEAD for stable/pike and tag that as pike-em
2. Just like with other procedural releases teams are free to +/-1 /
   suggest fixes.
3. We merge any that have PTL/Liaison +1 as we get the approvals
4. Any that aren't explicitly -1'd by April 22nd get merged that week
5. Others get discussed at the Summit/PTG.
6. We release the remainders during the week of May 6th
7. May 13th we formally transition pike to EM

Yours Tony.

[1] This will be a generally helpful tool to write anyway.