[placement] update 19-13

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Apr 5 12:30:34 UTC 2019

HTML: https://anticdent.org/placement-update-19-13.html

Placement update 19-13 is brought to you by the letters P and U.

# Most Important

The [Virtual
Pre-PTG](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-March/004225.html)
starts next week. Watch out for emails to start different threads
throughout the week. Also next week there will be a Nova pre-PTG
[spec
review](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-April/thread.html#4484).
Plenty of the pending work touches on placement.

In the meantime here are a couple of etherpads for the PTG:

* <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-ptg-train>
* <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ptg-train-xproj-nova-placement>

# What's Changed

* There were some lingering docs and log fixes so we released an RC
   3 of Placement. That candidate will become 1.0.0 on April 10th.

* Microversion 1.32, for [forbidden
   aggregates](https://docs.openstack.org/placement/latest/placement-api-microversion-history.html#support-forbidden-aggregates)
   merged.

* We've decided it would be nice to a) release os-traits and
   os-resource-classes in an independent fashion and, b) make them
   available to both placement and nova as tox-siblings. We'll do (a)
   once release time settles. For (b) the strategy is still a bit up
   in the air. There's some [email
   discussion](http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-April/004424.html).

# Specs/Features

* Two traits related specs have been re-proposed to Train, following
   the [new
   process](https://docs.openstack.org/placement/latest/contributor/contributing.html#new-features).

     * <https://review.openstack.org/649992>
       Spec: support any trait in allocation candidates

     * <https://review.openstack.org/649368>
       Spec: support mixing required traits with any traits

* As before, the spec for [request group
   mapping](https://review.openstack.org/597601) will need to be
   revisited.

# Bugs

* StoryBoard stories in [the placement
   group](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project_group/placement): 6.
   0 are
   [untagged](https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/worklist/580).

* Placement related [bugs not yet in progress](https://goo.gl/TgiPXb): 13.
   -1.

* [In progress placement bugs](https://goo.gl/vzGGDQ) 5. -2.

Once Stein has settled, we'll figure out a good time to have a bug
cleanup and consolidation.

# osc-placement

osc-placement is currently behind by 14 microversions. +1 since last
week.

Pending changes:

* [support for 1.19](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/641094/)
* [support for 1.21](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/641123/)
* [aggregate allocation ratio
   tool](https://review.openstack.org/#/c/640898/)
* [stack to fix docs and
   classifiers](https://review.openstack.org/650093)

# Main Themes

Be thinking about what you'd like the main themes to be. Put them on
the [PTG
etherpad](https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-ptg-train).

# Other Placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/645255/>
   This is a start at unit tests for the PlacementFixture. It is
   proving a bit "fun" to get right, as there are many layers
   involved. Making sure seemingly unrelated changes in placement
   don't break the nova gate is important. Besides these unit tests,
   there's discussion on the PTG etherpad of running the nova
   functional tests, or a subset thereof, in placement's check run.

     On the one hand this is a pain and messy, but on the other
     consider what we're enabling: Functional tests that use the real
     functionality of an external service (real data, real web
     requests), not stubs or fakes.

* <https://review.openstack.org/641404>
   Use ``code`` role in api-ref titles

* <https://review.openstack.org/649618>
   Removing some unused code.

# Other Service Users

New discoveries are added to the end. Merged stuff is removed.

Since last week 2 removals (by merge), 7 new discoveries.

* <https://review.openstack.org/552924>
   Nova: Spec: Proposes NUMA topology with RPs

* <https://review.openstack.org/622893>
   Nova: Spec: Virtual persistent memory libvirt driver
   implementation

* <https://review.openstack.org/641899>
   Nova: Check compute_node existence in when nova-compute reports
   info to placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/601596>
   Nova: spec: support virtual persistent memory

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1790204>
   Workaround doubling allocations on resize

* <https://review.openstack.org/555081>
   Nova: Spec: Standardize CPU resource tracking

* <https://review.openstack.org/646029>
   Nova: Spec: Use in_tree getting allocation candidates

* <https://review.openstack.org/645316>
   Nova: Pre-filter hosts based on multiattach volume support

* <https://review.openstack.org/606199>
   Ironic: A fresh way of looking at step retrieval

* <https://review.openstack.org/647396>
   Nova: Add flavor to requested_resources in RequestSpec

* <https://review.openstack.org/633204>
   Blazar: Retry on inventory update conflict

* <https://review.openstack.org/640080>
   Nova: Use aggregate_add_host in nova-manage

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/count-quota-usage-from-placement>
   Nova: count quota usage from placement

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1819923>
   Nova: nova-manage: heal port allocations

* <https://review.openstack.org/624335>
   puppet-tripleo: Initial extraction of the Placement service from Nova

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1821824>
   Nova: bug fix prevent forbidden traits from working as expected

* <https://review.openstack.org/648665>
   Nova: Spec for a new nova virt driver to manage an RSD

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/642067/>
   Helm: Allow more generic overrides for nova placement-api

* <https://review.openstack.org/647578>
   Nova: add spec for image metadata prefiltering

* <https://review.openstack.org/609960>
   Support filtering of allocation_candidates by forbidden aggregates

* <https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/use-placement-in-tree>
   Enable in_tree allocation candidates from the nova side

* <https://review.openstack.org/650143>
   openstack-ansible: Remove deprecated scheduler filters

* <https://review.openstack.org/625284>
   Cyborg: Initially readme for nova pilot

* <https://review.openstack.org/629142>
   Tempest: Add QoS policies and minimum bandwidth rule client

* <https://review.openstack.org/641994>
   Nova-spec: Re-approve AMD SEV support for Train

* <https://review.openstack.org/648687>
   Nova-spec: Add PENDING vm state

# End

Latency is the mind-killer.