[tripleo] Expose healthchecks via systemd for podman

Jill Rouleau jillr at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 20:38:10 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-11-30 at 08:13 -0500, Dan Prince wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-11-29 at 17:21 -0700, Jill Rouleau wrote:
> >
> > The healthchecks currently in use in tripleo depend on the the
> > docker
> > healthcheck implementation, so podman/oci containers will not expose
> > them.  The /openstack/healthcheck script is still available in the
> > images, we just need a way to run the checks and expose the result.
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/620372/ proposes having paunch
> > write
> > out a $service-healthcheck systemd unit and corresponding timer.
> With Docker our health checks weren't used for anything other than
> information if I recall. Is the idea here that you would use systemd
> obtain the healthcheck status for any given service? And then
> monitoring tools could call that periodically as a crude means of
> obtaining the status of each service?

Right, for now it's just to maintain the functionality of providing a
means to run the check on a schedule and see the check output without
having to rewrite the healthchecks, extend podman/varlink, or build
significant new monitoring interfaces.

> Or is the intent here to go a step further and have systemd take some
> kind of action if things are healthy like restarting the service.

It's an option we could do in the future, by using systemd's
OnFailure=$do_something, but beyond the scope of this initial patch.