[tripleo] Expose healthchecks via systemd for podman

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 13:13:25 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-11-29 at 17:21 -0700, Jill Rouleau wrote:
> The healthchecks currently in use in tripleo depend on the the docker
> healthcheck implementation, so podman/oci containers will not expose
> them.  The /openstack/healthcheck script is still available in the
> images, we just need a way to run the checks and expose the result.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/620372/ proposes having paunch write
> out a $service-healthcheck systemd unit and corresponding timer.

With Docker our health checks weren't used for anything other than
information if I recall. Is the idea here that you would use systemd to
obtain the healthcheck status for any given service? And then
monitoring tools could call that periodically as a crude means of
obtaining the status of each service?

Or is the intent here to go a step further and have systemd take some
kind of action if things are healthy like restarting the service.

Dan