[Interop-wg] [dev] [cinder] [qa] Strict Validation for Volume API using JSON Schema

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Nov 29 16:17:05 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

Tempest is planning  to add the strict API validation using JSON schema for Volume test [1]. We do the same for all the compute test.

With *Strict* JSON schema validation, all the API response will be validated with predefined schema with additionalProperties=False. additionalProperties=False will not allow any additional attribute in API response than what upstream APIs has in their current version. For example: If any vendor has modified the API response and returning additional attributes then Tempest tests going to fail.

This will help:
- To improve the OpenStack interoperability. Strict validation of API response is always helpful to maintain the interoperability.
- To improve the volume API testing to avoid the backward compatible changes. Sometime we accidentally change the API in backward incompatible way and strict validation with JSON schema help to block those.

We want to hear from cinder and interop team about any impact of this change to them.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/volume-response-schema-validation

-gmann