[all] We've combined the lists! Now what?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 19 19:47:47 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-19 19:02:45 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-11-19 18:14:09 +0000 (+0000), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> > when they are manually approved and forwarded is the reply-to auto
> > updated to openstack-discuss? im assuming the mail from
> > openstack at lists.openstack.org was one that was forwarded.
>
> A great question... it doesn't seem to do so, no. I'll see if I can
> figure out whether there is a convenient option to make that happen.

Our resident Mailman guru (James E. Blair) pointed me to the
necessary magic to cause the old lists to transitively accept posts
from subscribers of the new list, so at least new-list subscribers'
replies to old-list threads will go to them without sticking in
moderation now.

Turning on Reply-To munging, even if only for the next few weeks,
was more of a behavior change for openstack-discuss than we were
comfortable enacting. Consciously updating To/Cc fields to go to
openstack-discuss when you notice it would probably be a good tactic
in lieu of something more automatic and insidious. After December 3
people trying to reply to old list addresses will just get
rejections, but hopefully by then they will have figured this out
(I'll also try to send some more reminders to them in the meantime).

Thanks again for the deep thoughts regarding this transition, and
PLEASE don't anyone hesitate to mention other similar problems they
happen to spot. I know it's the week after the Summit and a holiday
week for some chunk of the World, but I'll do my best to be around
and act quickly on anything we need to keep this as smooth as we can
manage. It's a big and potentially disruptive change so I really
appreciate how positive everyone's been about it so far!
--
Jeremy Stanley