[Cinder][horizon] Image Name of all Instances does not show up

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 16:08:12 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-12-21 at 00:48 +0900, Minjun Hong wrote:
> Hi.
> After I installed Cinder, 'Image Name' of the created instances does not show up on horizon.
> When I created instances without Cinder, 'Image Name' of all instances was filled with the name of image which is used
> for creating the instance on horizon, like this link (https://imgur.com/0Habda7).
>
> Actually, although this does not cause any critical incorrect operation, it can make the users who use the Openstack
> system confused what image is used for the instances.
> That's why I need to resolve this issue.
>
> How can I fill 'Image Name' column with the name of the image ?
this happens when using a boot from volume instance.
the image name is stored in the instance root vlomue metadata
horizon obvirously is not reading it from that location.
since the vm was not actully booted form an image it does not have one
associated with the instance iteslf. To correct this the horizon interface will
likely need to be modified to determin the root volume and retrinve the image from there.
i have added horizon to the subject as this is not really a cinder issue.
this is more of less expected behavior based on the internal of how this works.

you did not mention what realase of openstack you are using so its also posible
this has been resoved in later releases.