[edge] Zero Touch Provisioning

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:47:54 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 8:09 AM Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/2018 07:12 AM, Curtis wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been looking through the docs I can find related to the edge
> > working group, and I'm wondering if there has been any
> > discussion/documentation of a Zero Touch Provisioning use case. I can't
> > seem to find anything, but I may not be looking in the right place. Just
> > wanted to double check and see what the current state is, if any.
>
> I take it that by "zero touch *provisioning*" (emphasis added to
> differentiate from zero *configuration* networking, you are referring to
> the ability for a new server to be rack-and-stacked in a site, powered
> on, and immediately register itself with either a local inventory
> management system or a remote one?

In this case, yes that is what I'm talking about, just the provisioning
aspect, and mostly related to the "edge" which in my case I usually
consider to be one or two physical servers (but that's just one use case).

I'm a relatively new member of the StarlingX TSC and there is some
discussion about deployment models, of which ZTP would presumably be a
part, so I wanted to check in with the edge working group to see what's
been going on in that area if anything.

> In either case, the issue I foresee is that the firmware (or initial
> boot/ramdisk that comes from the factory or supply chain team) will need
> to have some program installed in it that sends out a request looking
> for some known/assumed inventory management service [1]. The thing that
> *responds* to such a request would, of course, need to be already
> installed and available either on a switch or a pre-installed machine
> pingable on the out-of-band network and already configured by the team
> that handles hardware inventory.
>
> I can see some vendors working on their own custom low-touch
> provisioning software -- and this software would likely end up depending
> on their own proprietary (or subscription-based) server software ala Red
> Hat's Satellite software [2]). But getting all the vendors to come
> together on a unified low-touch provisioning system? Chances are pretty
> slim, IMHO.

Well, perhaps ONIE [1] is the best example. Switches that can run multiple
network OSes have pretty much standardized on it. But I don't know if ONIE
is the right example here, though it very well might be.

[1]: https://opencomputeproject.github.io/onie/

--
Blog: serverascode.com