[tripleo] cleanup upgrade_tasks

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 21:32:31 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 14:41 -0500, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Upgrade folks,
>
> Please take a look at https://review.openstack.org/622578.
> We don't run the upgrade_tasks Ansible tasks that stop systemd
> services and remove the packages since all services are
> containerized.
> These tasks were useful in Rocky when we converted the Undercloud
> from baremetal to containers but in Stein this is not useful anymore.

Would some of them be useful for fast forward upgrades in the future
though? I suppose it all depends on where you draw your "upgrade lines"
from major version to major version.

> It's actually breaking upgrades for Podman, as containers are now
> seen by systemd, and these tasks conflicts with the way containers
> are managed in Paunch.

Many of these steps are very similar. It seems like it would be
possible to detect podman in the systemd unit file (systemctl show
<service> | grep podman) or something and then set your Ansible
variables accordingly to disable the block if podman is being used.

And improvement might be to put this logic into a playbook and consume
it from each module. That is, if we even want to keep this upgrade code
for the future.