[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

Michael McCune msm at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 16:48:19 UTC 2018

Greetings OpenStack community,

This week's meeting was mostly ceremonial, with the main topic of
discussion being the office hours for the SIG. If you have not heard
the news about the API-SIG, we are converting from a regular weekly
meeting time to a set of scheduled office hours. This change was
discussed over the course of meeting leading up to the PTG and was
finalized last week. The reasoning behind this decision was summarized
nicely by edleafe in the last newsletter:

We, as a SIG, have recognized that we have moved into a new phase.
With most of the API guidelines that we needed to write having been
written, there is not "new stuff" to make demands on our time. In
recognition of this, we are changing how we will work.

How can you find the API-SIG?

We have 2 office hours that we will hold in the #openstack-sdks
channel on freenode:
    * Thursdays 0900-1000 UTC
    * Thursdays 1600-1700 UTC

Additionally, there is usually someone from the API-SIG hanging out in
the #openstack-sdks channel. Please feel free to ping dtanstur,
edleafe, or elmiko as direct contacts.

Although this marks the end of our weekly meetings, the API-SIG will
continue to be active in the community and we would like to extend a
hearty "huzzah!" to all the OpenStack contributors, operators, and
users who have helped to create the guidelines and guidance that we
all share.

Huzzah!

If you're interested in helping out, here are some things to get you started:

* The list of bugs [5] indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines [2] always need refreshing to account for
changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right,
submit a patch [6] to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made
things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others
[6].

# Newly Published Guidelines

* None

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

* None

# Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

* None

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Add an api-design doc with design advice
  https://review.openstack.org/592003

* Update parameter names in microversion sdk spec
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/557773/

* Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524467/

* Version and service discovery series
  Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet
ready for review)
  https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs
that you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in
an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag
"[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant
reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the
specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our
wiki page [4] and guidelines [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!