[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Sep 20 17:13:57 UTC 2018

Greetings OpenStack community,

This newsletter is very different than the past few, in that there is some actual news.

We, as a SIG, have recognized that we have moved into a new phase. With most of the API guidelines that we needed to write having been written, there is not "new stuff" to make demands on our time. In recognition of this, we are changing how we will work.

Next Thursday, Sept 27, will be our last formal IRC meeting [7] in #openstack-meeting-3; after that we will switch to an "office hours" format, where API-SIG members will be available in the #openstack-sdks channel. We will have at least two office hours scheduled per week, to allow for more participation across time zones. We will discuss that schedule at next week's meeting, so if you have any preferences on this, either attend that meeting, or reply to this email, so that we can make a schedule that works well for most people. We will also discontinue this weekly newsletter, and instead only send it when something of note needs to be shared with the wider community.

On a note, one of the biggest contributors to the SIG, Chris Dent (cdent), has finally realized that he is spread much too thinly these days, and needs to pull back from so many things demanding his time. So while he won't be as active in the group as before, I'm sure he'll be keeping an eye on the rest of us to make sure we don't mess things up too badly. So for all your good work, Chris, we say "Huzzah!".

If you're interested in helping out, here are some things to get you started:

* The list of bugs [5] indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines [2] always need refreshing to account for changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right, submit a patch [6] to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others [6].

# Newly Published Guidelines

* None

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

* None

# Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

* None

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* Add an api-design doc with design advice
  https://review.openstack.org/592003

* Update parameter names in microversion sdk spec
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/557773/

* Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524467/

* Version and service discovery series
  Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
  https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs that you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1] with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our wiki page [4] and guidelines [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!