[openstack-dev] [nova] Stein PTG summary

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 22:30:25 UTC 2018

Thanks for the recap email, Mel. Just a question inline for all the people
that were in the room by Wednesday.

Le jeu. 27 sept. 2018 à 00:10, melanie witt <melwittt at gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]
> improvements as it did in Queens. Last cycle, we had thought runways
> would capture what is a priority at any given time, but looking back, we
> determined it would be helpful if we still had over-arching
> goals/efforts/features written down for people to refer to throughout
> the cycle. We dove deeper into that discussion on Friday during the hour
> before lunch, where we came up with user-facing themes we aim to
> accomplish in the Stein cycle:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-stein-priorities
>
> Note that these are _not_ meant to preempt anything in runways, these
> are just 1) for my use as a project manager and 2) for everyone's use to
> keep a bigger picture of our goals for the cycle in their heads, to aid
> in their work and review outside of runways.
>
> Themes
> ======
> With that, I'll briefly mention the themes we came up with for the cycle:
>
> * Compute nodes capable to upgrade and exist with nested resource
> providers for multiple GPU types
>
> * Multi-cell operational enhancements: resilience to "down" or
> poor-performing cells and cross-cell instance migration
>
> * Volume-backed user experience and API hardening: ability to specify
> volume type during boot-from-volume, detach/attach of root volume, and
> volume-backed rebuild
>
> These are the user-visible features and functionality we aim to deliver
> and we'll keep tabs on these efforts throughout the cycle to keep them
> making progress.
>
> Placement
> =========
> As usual, we had a lot of discussions on placement-related topics, so
> I'll try to highlight the main things that stand out to me. Please see
> the "Placement" section of our PTG etherpad for all the details and
> additional topics we discussed.
>
> We discussed the regression in behavior that happened when we removed
> the Aggregate[Core|Ram|Disk]Filters from the scheduler filters -- these
> filters allowed operators to set overcommit allocation ratios per
> aggregate instead of per host. We agreed on the importance of restoring
> this functionality and hashed out a concrete plan, with two specs needed
> to move forward:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/552105
> https://review.openstack.org/544683
>
> The other standout discussions were around the placement extraction and
> closing the gaps in nested resource providers. For the placement
> extraction, we are focusing on full support of an upgrade from
> integrated placement => extracted placement, including assisting with
> making sure deployment tools like OpenStack-Ansible and TripleO are able
> to support the upgrade. For closing the gaps in nested resource
> providers, there are many parts to it that are documented on the
> aforementioned PTG etherpads. By closing the gaps with nested resource
> providers, we'll open the door for being able to support minimum

So, during this day, we also discussed about NUMA affinity and we said that
we could possibly use nested resource providers for NUMA cells in Stein,
but given we don't have yet a specific Placement API query, NUMA affinity
should still be using the NUMATopologyFilter.
That said, when looking about how to use this filter for vGPUs, it looks to
me that I'd need to provide a new version for the NUMACell object and
modify the virt.hardware module. Are we also accepting this (given it's a
temporary question), or should we need to wait for the Placement API
support ?

Folks, what are you thoughts ?

-Sylvain