[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Posibilities to aggregate/merge configs across templates

Jiri Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 22:43:04 UTC 2018

Hi,

The problems you're describing are close to the discussion we had with
Mathieu Bultel here [1]. Currently to set some parameters values as
ultimate source of truth, you need to put them in plan-environment.yaml.
Ignoring the fact that CLI now merges environments itself (fixed by [2] and
not affecting this behaviour), the Mistral workflows pass the environments
to heat in order in which they are provided with -e option and then as last
environment it applies parameter_defaults from plan-environment.yaml.
The result of [1] effort is going to be that the way deployment
configuration (roles setting, networks selection, environments selection
and explicit parameters setting) is going to be done the same by both CLI
and GUI through Mistral Workflows which already exist but are used only by
GUI. When you look at plan-environment.yaml in Swift, you can see the list
of environment files in order in which they're merged as well as parameters
which are going to override the values in environments in case of collision.

Merging strategy for parameters is an interesting problem, configuring this
in t-h-t looks like a good solution to me. Note that the GUI always
displays the parameter values which it is getting from GetParameters
Mistral action. This action gets the parameter values from Heat by running
heat validate. This means that it always displays the real parameter values
which are actually going to be applied by Heat as a result of all the
merging. If user updates that value with GUI it will end up being set in
plan-environment.yaml.

-- Jirka

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/134511.html