[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] extraction (technical) update

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:42:26 UTC 2018

On 9/4/2018 4:27 PM, melanie witt wrote:
> Yes, we should definitely trim the placement DB migrations to only
> things relevant to placement. And we can use this opportunity to get rid
> of cruft too and squash all of the placement migrations together to
> start at migration 1 for the placement repo. If anyone can think of a
> problem with doing that, please shout it out.

Umm, nova-manage db sync creates entries in a sqlalchemy-migrate
versions table, something like that, to track per database what the
latest migration sync version has been.

Based on that, and the fact I thought our DB extraction policy was to
mostly tell operators to copy the nova_api database and throw it
elsewhere in a placement database, then the migrate versions table is
going to be saying you're at 061 and you can't start new migrations from
1 at that point, unless you wipe out that versions table after you copy
the API DB.

I could be wrong, but just copying the database, squashing/trimming the
migration scripts and resetting the version to 1, and assuming things
are going to be hunky dory doesn't sound like it will work to me.

Matt