[openstack-dev] [networking-odl][networking-bgpvpn][ceilometer] all requirement updates are currently blocked

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Sep 3 03:18:49 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 07:52:09PM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
> The requirements project has a co-installability test for the various
> projects, networking-odl being included.
>
> Because of the way the dependancy on ceilometer is done it is blocking
> all reviews and updates to the requirements project.
>
> http://logs.openstack.org/96/594496/2/check/requirements-integration/8378cd8/job-output.txt.gz#_2018-08-31_22_54_49_357505
>
> If networking-odl is not meant to be used as a library I'd recommend
> it's removal from networking-bgpvpn (it's test-requirements.txt file).
> Once that is done networking-odl can be removed from global-requirements
> and we won't be blocked anymore.
>
> As a side note, fungi noticed that when you branched you are still
> installing ceilometer from master.  Also, the ceilometer team
> doesnt wish it to be used as a library either (like networking-odl
> doesn't wish to be used as a library).

Yup this seems totally wrong for anything to be importing ceilometer
directly like that.  The networking-* projects are pretty tightly
coupled so the links there are ok and workable but the ceilometer thing
needs to be reconsidered.  Having said that it's been part of the design
for a while now.

The "quick" fix would be to have ceilometer published to pypi, get
requirements.txt fixed in networking-odl and re-release that.

In order to unblock the requirements gate we *could* block 13.0.0 in
global-requirements but that's strange as that means we're installing
the queens version instead of rocky, and will more than likely have a
cascade effect :(

https://review.openstack.org/599277 is my pragmatic compromise while we
work through this.

Yours Tony.