[openstack-dev] [nova] Volunteer needed to write reshaper FFU hook

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:25:00 UTC 2018

Given the outstanding results of my recruiting job last week [1] I have
been tasked with recruiting one of our glorious and most talented
contributors to work on the fast-forward-upgrade script changes needed
for the reshape-provider-tree blueprint.

The work item is nicely detailed in the spec [2]. A few things to keep
in mind:

1. There are currently no virt drivers which run the reshape routine.
However, patches are up for review for libvirt [3] and xen [4]. There
are also functional tests which exercise the ResourceTracker code with a
faked out virt driver interface to test reshaping [5].

2. The FFU entry point will mimic the reshape routine that will happen
on nova-compute service startup in the ResourceTracker [6].

3. The FFU script will need to run per-compute service rather than
globally (or per cell) since it actually needs to call the virt driver's
update_provider_tree() interface which might need to inspect the
hardware (like for GPUs).

Given there is already a model to follow from the ResourceTracker this
should not be too hard, the work will likely mostly be writing tests.

What do you get if you volunteer? The usual: fame, fortune, the respect
of your peers, etc.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-October/136075.html
[2]