[openstack-dev] [keystone] Keystone Team Update - Catch-up report 8 October - 28 October 2018

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Sun Oct 28 14:38:10 UTC 2018

# Keystone Team Update - Catch-up report 8 October - 28 October 2018

It's been a few weeks since I've been able to get one of these out, so here's a summary of what's been happening in that time.

## News

### Community Goals Status

Mutable config: Kristi has a patch under review[1].
Python3-first: Keystone has python3 functional tests completed, working our way through the remainder of our repositories.
Upgrade status checks: Scaffolding is in place[2] but we need to decide what checks should be included.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/585417
[2] https://review.openstack.org/608785

### Flask conversion complete

The last patch to migrate keystone to Flask has merged[3]. Thanks Morgan for pushing all this through! There is still some work to be done to migrate keystonemiddleware away from the Webob implementation.

With the migration to Flask, some users have noticed that the healthcheck middleware no longer works the same way[4]. Custom middleware is also no longer possible, but there are workarounds[5].

[3] https://review.openstack.org/609839
[4] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-October/135696.html
[5] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-keystone/%23openstack-keystone.2018-10-02.log.html#t2018-10-02T13:53:12

### Oath federation examples

Oath open-sourced their custom auth plugin for Athenz[6], which we may want to model our federated shadow user implementation after. We're analyzing the difference and collaborating on a path to move in this direction in keystone[7].

[6] https://github.com/yahoo/openstack-collab/tree/master/keystone-federation-ocata
[7] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/keystone-shadow-mapping-athenz-delta

### Outreachy

I submitted two projects for Outreachy and there has been a lot of interest in both of them. Applicants now need to log a contribution so they can be eligible to apply for the project, so you may see a lot of new faces before the November 6 deadline. If you have ideas for beginner-friendly tasks, let me know so I can hand them out to our newcomers.

## Open Specs

Search query: https://bit.ly/2Pi6dGj

In addition to the three Stein specs that have been open for a while, we opened and closed another to allow for explicit domain IDs upon domain creation[8].

There are also a number of "ongoing" specs proposed that need attention[9]

[8] https://bit.ly/2OyDLTh
[9] https://review.openstack.org/611201

## Help with this newsletter

Help contribute to this newsletter by editing the etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/keystone-team-newsletter