[openstack-dev] [tripleo][puppet] Hello all, puppet modules

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Thu May 31 14:22:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM, Remo Mattei <remo at rm.ht> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have talked to several people about this and I would love to get this
> finalized once and for all. I have checked the OpenStack puppet modules
> which are mostly developed by the Red Hat team, as of right now, TripleO is
> using a combo of Ansible and puppet to deploy but in the next couple of
> releases, the plan is to move away from the puppet option.

So the OpenStack puppet modules are maintained by others other than Red
Hat, however we have been a major contributor since TripleO has relied on
them for some time.  That being said, as TripleO has migrated to containers
built with Kolla, we've adapted our deployment mechanism to include Ansible
and we really only use puppet for configuration generation.  Our goal for
TripleO is to eventually be fully containerized which isn't something the
puppet modules support today and I'm not sure is on the road map.

> So consequently, what will be the plan of TripleO and the puppet modules?

As TripleO moves forward, we may continue to support deployments via puppet
modules but the amount of testing that we'll be including upstream will
mostly exercise external Ansible integrations (example, ceph-ansible,
openshift-ansible, etc) and Kolla containers.  As of Queens, most of the
services deployed via TripleO are deployed via containers and not on
baremetal via puppet. We no longer support deploying OpenStack services on
baremetal via the puppet modules and will likely be removing this support
in the code in Stein.  The end goal will likely be moving away from puppet
modules within TripleO if we can solve the backwards compatibility and
configuration generation via other mechanism.  We will likely recommend
leveraging external Ansible role calls rather than including puppet modules
and using those to deploy services that are not inherently supported by
TripleO.  I can't really give a time frame as we are still working out the
details, but it is likely that over the next several cycles we'll see a
reduction in the dependence of puppet in TripleO and an increase in
leveraging available Ansible roles.

>From the Puppet OpenStack standpoint, others are stepping up to continue to
ensure the modules are available and I know I'll keep an eye on them for as
long as TripleO leverages some of the functionality.  The Puppet OpenStack
modules are very stable but I'm not sure without additional community folks
stepping up that there will be support for newer functionality being added
by the various OpenStack projects.  I'm sure others can chime in here on
their usage/plans for the Puppet OpenStack modules.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
-Alex