[openstack-dev] New OpenStack project for rolling maintenance and upgrade in interaction with application on top of it
Juvonen, Tomi (Nokia - FI/Espoo)
tomi.juvonen at nokia.com
Tue May 29 11:14:12 UTC 2018
I am the PTL of the OPNFV Doctor project.
I have been working for a couple of years figuring out the infrastructure maintenance in interaction with application on top of it. Looked into Nova, Craton and had several Ops sessions. Past half a year there has been couple of different POCs, the last in March in the ONS  
In OpenStack Vancouver summit last week it was time to present . In Forum discussion following the presentation it was whether to make this just by utilizing different existing projects, but to make this generic, pluggable, easily adapted and future proof, it now goes down to start what I almost started a couple of years ago; the OpenStack Fenix project .
On behalf of OPNFV Doctor I would welcome any last thoughts before starting the project and would also love to see somebody joining to make the Fenix fly.
Main use cases to list most of them:
* As a cloud admin I want to maintain and upgrade my infrastructure in a rolling fashion.
* As a cloud admin I want to have a pluggable workflow to maintain and upgrade my infrastructure, to ensure it can be done with complicated infrastructure components and in interaction with different application payloads on top of it.
* As a infrastructure service, I need to know whether infrastructure unavailability is because of planned maintenance.
* As a critical application owner, I want to be aware of any planned downtime effecting to my service.
* As a critical application owner, I want to have interaction with infrastructure rolling maintenance workflow to have a time window to ensure zero down time for my service and to be able to decide to make admin actions like migration of my instance.
* As an application owner, I need to know when admin action like migration is complete.
* As an application owner, I want to know about new capabilities coming because of infrastructure maintenance or upgrade, so I can take it also into use by my application. This could be hardware capability or for example OpenStack upgrade.
* As a critical application that needs to scale by varying load, I need to interactively know about infrastructure resources scaling up and down, so I can scale my application at the same and keeping zero downtime for my service
* As a critical application, I want to have retirement of my service done in controlled fashion.
 Infrastructure Maintenance & Upgrade: Zero VNF Downtime with OPNFV Doctor on OCP Hardware video<https://youtu.be/7q496Tutzlo>
 Infrastructure Maintenance & Upgrade: Zero VNF Downtime with OPNFV Doctor on OCP Hardware slides<https://wiki.opnfv.org/download/attachments/5046291/Maintenance%20Demo%20OCP%20and%20ONS%20summit.pptx?version=1&modificationDate=1521773334000&api=v2>
 How to gain VNF zero down-time during Infrastructure Maintenance and Upgrade<https://youtu.be/ZZBJEZsiwqo>
 Fenix project wiki<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fenix>
 Doctor design guideline draft<https://wiki.opnfv.org/download/attachments/5046291/Planned%20Maintenance%20Design%20Guideline.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1527183603000&api=v2>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev