[openstack-dev] [tc][all] A culture change (nitpicking)

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:55:11 UTC 2018

During the Forum, the topic of review culture came up in session after
session. During these discussions, the subject of our use of nitpicks
were often raised as a point of contention and frustration, especially
by community members that have left the community and that were
attempting to re-engage the community. Contributors raised the point
of review feedback requiring for extremely precise English, or
compliance to a particular core reviewer's style preferences, which
may not be the same as another core reviewer.

These things are not just frustrating, but also very inhibiting for
part time contributors such as students who may also be time limited.
Or an operator who noticed something that was clearly a bug and that
put forth a very minor fix and doesn't have the time to revise it over
and over.

While nitpicks do help guide and teach, the consensus seemed to be
that we do need to shift the culture a little bit. As such, I've
proposed a change to our principles[1] in governance that attempts to
capture the essence and spirit of the nitpicking topic as a first
step.

-Julia
---------
[1]: https://review.openstack.org/570940