[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ci][infra] Quickstart Branching

Sagi Shnaidman sshnaidm at redhat.com
Wed May 23 14:30:23 UTC 2018

Hi, Sergii

thanks for the question. It's not first time that this topic is raised and
from first view it could seem that branching would help to that sort of
issues.

Although it's not the case. Tripleo-quickstart(-extras) is part of CI code,
as well as tripleo-ci repo which have never been branched. The reason for
that is relative small impact on CI code from product branching. Think
about backport almost *every* patch to oooq and extras to all supported
branches, down to newton at least. This will be a really *huge* price and
non reasonable work. Just think about active maintenance of 3-4 versions of
CI code in each of 3 repositories. It will take all time of CI team with
almost zero value of this work.

What regards patch you listed, we would have backport this change to
*every* branch, and it wouldn't really help to avoid the issue. The source
of problem is not branchless repo here.

Regarding catching such issues and Bogdans point, that's right we added a
few jobs to catch such issues in the future and prevent breakages, and a
few running jobs is reasonable price to keep configuration working in all
branches. Comparing to maintenance nightmare with branches of CI code, it's
really a *zero* price.

Thanks

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Sergii Golovatiuk <sgolovat at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking at [1], I am thinking about the price we paid for not
> branching tripleo-quickstart. Can we discuss the options to prevent
> the issues such as [1]? Thank you in advance.
>
> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/569830/4
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Sergii Golovatiuk