[openstack-dev] [all][tc][ptls] final stages of python 3 transition

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon May 21 00:15:24 UTC 2018

On 05/07/2018 01:36 PM, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
> We've been juggling with python3, ansible and multiple distros for a while now.
> That dance hasn't been fruitful: many hidden issues, either due to
> ansible modules, or our own modules, or upgrade issues.
>
> I've recently decided to simplify the python2/3 story.
>
> Queens and all the stable branches will be python2 only (python3 will
> not be used anymore, to simplify the code)
>
> For Rocky, we plan to use as much as possible the distribution
> packages for the python stack, if it's recent enough for our source
> installs.
> Ubuntu 16.04 will have python2, SUSE has python2, CentOS has no
> appropriate package, so we are pip installing things (and using
> python2).
> So... If people work on Ubuntu 18.04 support, we could try a python3
> only system. Nobody worked on it right now.

/me raises hand!

At the moment, I got a nearly full Queens stack up and running on top of
Debian Stretch, using Python 3 only (and of course all of that is also
uploaded to Debian Sid). The puppet-openstack scenario001 works fully
without SSL, last week I could fix cinder, today Glance (thanks to Matt)
and Nova, and it's looking like I got one remaining issue with Neutron
that I didn't have time to investigate fully yet (got to dig in the
logs). But it's looking good. Hopefully, next week I'll be able to tell
everything works.

So, have a try with Debian? :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)