[openstack-dev] [all][tc][ptls][glance] final stages of python 3 transition

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun May 20 14:36:22 UTC 2018

On 05/14/2018 06:42 PM, Victoria Martínez de la Cruz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jumping in now as I'm helping with py3 support efforts in the manila side.
>
> In manila we have both support for Apache WSGI and the built-in server
> (which depends in eventlet). Would it be a possible workaround to rely
> on the Apache WSGI server while we wait for evenlet issues to be sorted
> out? Is there any chance the upper constraints will be updated soon-ish
> and this can be fixed in a newer eventlet version?

Probably we can update the upper-constraints file, though the newer
eventlet doesn't have a fix. It's been more than 2 years there's the
issue, and nobody seems to work on it.

> This is the only change it's preventing us to be fully py3 compatible,
> hence it's a big deal for us.

I don't think Eventlet is a blocker, as long as you're supporting uwsgi
and Apache2. The case of Glance not supporting Apache2 is a real issue
though, for Ubuntu at least, since they don't want uwsgi to be promoted
to main (ie: it's in Universe, and they don't support it for security).

As for Debian, since it is looking like I managed to find a solution for
running everything in uwsgi, then I probably will do that. I have btw
recently joined the team maintaining uwsgi in Debian, and managed to fix
all RC bugs on it.

Like Matt, I do prefer to be able to restart only *one* daemon at a
time, which is why I don't really like setting-up everything with
mod_wsgi. Though in such setup, I wonder what the point is to still use
Apache for proxying the requests. Is there any added value doing that?

Also, does anyone know if uwsgi uses the Python subinterpreter thing,
which is the reason why mod_wsgi is outperforming everything else? If
I'm not mistaking, the API is described at:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0554/ (ie: PEP554), and that, if I
understand correctly, works around the global interpreter lock issue. As
much as I could see, uwsgi doesn't use that, so Apache should still be
outperforming uwsgi.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)