[openstack-dev] [all][tc][ptls] final stages of python 3 transition

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun May 20 13:05:34 UTC 2018

On 05/19/2018 07:54 PM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 07:04:53PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> using:
>> - RBD backend
>> - swift backend
>> - swift+rgw
>
> As for the backend store choice I don't have any personal experience using
> either of these 3 as a backend store. That being said your choice of store
> should be independent from the getting glance-api deployed behind uwsgi
> and a webserver.
>
> Although, you might have trouble with swift on py3, because IIRC that still
> isn't working. (unless something changed recently) But, the store config is
> really independent from getting the api to receive and handle api requests
> properly.

Thanks for these details. What exactly is the trouble with the Swift
backend? Do you know? Is anyone working on fixing it? At my company,
we'd be happy to work on that (if of course, it's not too time demanding).

>>> The issues glance has with running in a wsgi app are related to it's
>>> use of async tasks via taskflow. (which includes the tasks api and
>>> image import stuff) This shouldn't be hard to fix, and I've had
>>> patches up to address these for months:
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/531498/
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549743/
>>
>> Do I need to backport these patches to Queens to run Glance the way I
>> described? Will it also fix running Glance with mod_wsgi?
>
> These patches are independent of getting things working for you. They
> are only required for 2 API features in glance to work. The tasks api and
> the image import api (which was added in queens). You don't need either
> to upload images by default, and the patches will only ever be necessary
> if you have something using those APIs (which personally I've never
> encountered in the wild). There is also no test coverage in tempest or
> any external test suite using these apis that I'm aware of so your CI
> likely won't even be blocked by this. (which is how this situation
> arose in the first place)

Allright, So hopefully, I'm very close from having Debian to gate
properly in puppet-openstack upstream. As much as I could tell, Glance
and Cinder are the only pieces that are still failing with SSL (and
everything works already without SSL), so I must be very close to a nice
result (after a course of nearly 2 months already).

Thanks again for all the very valuable details that you provided. I have
to admit that I was starting to loose faith in the project, because of
all the frustration of not finding a working solution.

I'll let the list knows when I have something that fully works and
gating with puppet-openstack, of course.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)