[openstack-dev] [ci][infra][tripleo] Multi-staged check pipelines for Zuul v3 proposal

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Tue May 15 12:07:56 UTC 2018

Let me clarify the problem I want to solve with pipelines.

It is getting *hard* to develop things and move patches to the Happy End
(merged):
- Patches wait too long for CI jobs to start. It should be minutes and
not hours of waiting.
- If a patch fails a job w/o a good reason, the consequent recheck
operation repeat waiting all over again.

How pipelines may help solve it?
Pipelines only alleviate, not solve the problem of waiting. We only want
to build pipelines for the main zuul check process, omitting gating and
RDO CI (for now).

Where are two cases to consider:
- A patch succeeds all checks
- A patch fails a check with dependencies

The latter cases benefit us the most, when pipelines are designed like
it is proposed here. So that any jobs expected to fail, when a
dependency fails, will be omitted from execution. This saves HW
resources and zuul queue places a lot, making it available for other
patches and allowing those to have CI jobs started faster (less
waiting!). When we have "recheck storms", like because of some known
intermittent side issue, that outcome is multiplied by the recheck storm
um... level, and delivers even better and absolutely amazing results :)
Zuul queue will not be growing insanely getting overwhelmed by multiple
clones of the rechecked jobs highly likely deemed to fail, and blocking
other patches what might have chances to pass checks as non-affected by
that intermittent issue.

And for the first case, when a patch succeeds, it takes some extended
time, and that is the price to pay. How much time it takes to finish in
a pipeline fully depends on implementation.

The effectiveness could only be measured with numbers extracted from
elastic search data, like average time to wait for a job to start,
success vs fail execution time percentiles for a job, average amount of
rechecks, recheck storms history et al. I don't have that data and don't
know how to get it. Any help with that is very appreciated and could
really help to move the proposed patches forward or decline it. And we
could then compare "before" and "after" as well.

I hope that explains the problem scope and the methodology to address that.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,