[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news
cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Mar 15 17:30:16 UTC 2018
Greetings OpenStack community,
A rousing good time at the API-SIG meeting today. We opened with some discussion on what might be missing from the Methods  section of the HTTP guidelines. At the PTG we had discussed that perhaps we needed more info on which methods were appropriate when. It turns that what we probably need is better discoverability, so we're going to work on that but at the same time do a general review of that entire page.
We then talked about microversions a bit (because it wouldn't be an API-SIG without them). There's an in-progress history of microversions document (linked below) that we need to decide if we'll revive. If you have a strong opinion, let us know.
And finally we explored the options for how or if Neutron can cleanly resolve the handling of invalid query parameters. This was raised a while back in an email thread . It's generally a good idea not to break existing client code, but what if that client code is itself broken? The next step will be to make the choice configurable. Neutron doesn't support microversions so "throw another microversion at it" won't work.
As always if you're interested in helping out, in addition to coming to the meetings, there's also:
* The list of bugs  indicates several missing or incomplete guidelines.
* The existing guidelines  always need refreshing to account for changes over time. If you find something that's not quite right, submit a patch  to fix it.
* Have you done something for which you think guidance would have made things easier but couldn't find any? Submit a patch and help others .
# Newly Published Guidelines
None this week.
# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze
Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.
None this week.
# Guidelines Currently Under Review 
* Add guidance on needing cache-control headers
* Add guideline on exposing microversions in SDKs
* Add API-schema guide (still being defined)
* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and service discovery
Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/
* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready for review)
# Highlighting your API impacting issues
If you seek further review and insight from the API SIG about APIs that you are developing or changing, please address your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion of the specific challenge you are facing.
To learn more about the API SIG mission and the work we do, see our wiki page  and guidelines .
Thanks for reading and see you next week!
Past Meeting Records
Chris Dent ٩◔̯◔۶ https://anticdent.org/
freenode: cdent tw: @anticdent
More information about the OpenStack-dev