[openstack-dev] [horizon][neutron] tools/tox_install changes - breakage with constraints

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Mar 14 22:25:49 UTC 2018

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, Akihiro Motoki wrote:

> (1) it makes difficult to run tests in local environment
> We have only released version of neutron/horizon on PyPI. It means
> PyPI version (i.e. queens) is installed when we run tox in our local
> development. Most neutron stadium projects and horizon plugins depends
> on the latest master. Test run in local environment will be broken. We
> need to install the latest neutron/horizon manually. This confuses
> most developers. We need to ensure that tox can run successfully in a
> same manner in our CI and local environments.

Assuming that ^ is actually the case then:

This sounds like a really critical issue. We need to be really
careful about automating the human out of the equation to the point
where people are submitting broken code just so they can get a good
test run. That's not great if we'd like to encourage various forms
of TDD and the like and we also happen to have a limited supply of
CI resources.

(Which is not to say that tox-siblings isn't an awesome feature. I
hadn't really known about it until today and it's a great thing.)