[openstack-dev] [horizon][neutron] tools/tox_install changes - breakage with constraints

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:16:11 UTC 2018

The current version of proposed patches which drops tox_install.sh
works in our CI. Even if we have neutron>=12.0.0 (queens) or
horizon>=13.0.0 (queens), if we have "required-projects" in zuul v3
config, tox-sibling role ensures to install the latest master of
neutron/horizon. It is okay in our CI.

On the other hand, this change brings a couple of problems. I think it
is worth discussed broadly here.

(1) it makes difficult to run tests in local environment
We have only released version of neutron/horizon on PyPI. It means
PyPI version (i.e. queens) is installed when we run tox in our local
development. Most neutron stadium projects and horizon plugins depends
on the latest master. Test run in local environment will be broken. We
need to install the latest neutron/horizon manually. This confuses
most developers. We need to ensure that tox can run successfully in a
same manner in our CI and local environments.

(2) neutron/horizon version in requirements.txt is confusing
In the cycle-with-milestone model, a new version of neutron/horizon
will be released only when a release is shipped.
The code depends on the latest master, but requirements.txt says it
depends on queens or later. It sounds confusing.

Thanks,
Akihiro