[openstack-dev] Pros and Cons of face-to-face meetings

Jens Harbott j.harbott at x-ion.de
Thu Mar 8 14:03:29 UTC 2018

With the current PTG just finished and seeing discussions happen about
the format of the next[0], it seems that the advantages of these seem
to be pretty clear to most, so let me use the occasion to remind
everyone of the disadvantages.

Every meeting that is happening is excluding those contributors that
can not attend it. And with that it is violating the fourth Open
principle[1], having a community that is open to everyone. If you are
wondering whom this would affect, here's a non-exclusive (sic) list of
valid reasons not to attend physical meetings:

- Health issues
- Privilege issues (like not getting visa or travel permits)
- Caretaking responsibilities (children, other family, animals, plants)
- Environmental concerns

So when you are considering whether it is worth the money and effort
to organise PTGs or similar events, I'd like you also to consider
those being excluded by such activities. It is not without a reason
that IRC and emails have been settled upon as preferred means of
communication. I'm not saying that physical meetings should be dropped
altogether, but maybe more effort can be placed into providing means
of remote participation, which might at least reduce some effects.

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-March/127991.html
[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/opens.html