[openstack-dev] [tripleo] upgrading to a containerized undercloud

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 14:56:59 UTC 2018

On 3/4/18 10:29 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> The use case that I'm working on right now is the following:
>
>    As an operator, I would like to upgrade my non-containerized
> undercloud running on Queens to a containerized undercloud running on Rocky.
>    Also, I would like to maintain the exact same command to upgrade my
> undercloud, which is: openstack undercloud upgrade (with --use-heat to
> containerize it).
>
> The work has been tracked here:
> https://trello.com/c/nFbky9Uk/5-upgrade-support-from-instack-undercloud
>
> But here's an update and some open discussion before we continue to make
> progress.
>
> ## Workflow
>
> This is what I've found the easiest to implement and maintain:
>
> 1) Update python-tripleoclient-* and tripleo-heat-templates.

Just a note that those need to be installed first, though you have this
covered
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549624/7/tripleoclient/v1/undercloud.py@100

> 2) Run openstack overcloud container prepare.
> 3) Run openstack undercloud upgrade --use-heat, that underneath will:
> stop non-containerized services, upgrade all packages & dependencies and
> deploy a containerized undercloud.

As we have discussed and you noted for
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549609/ we're better off changing the
workflow to run the upgrade_tasks so we avoid code duplication.

> Note: the data isn't touched, so when the upgrade is done, the
> undercloud is just upgraded to Rocky, and containerized.
>
> ## Blockers encountered
>
> 1) Passwords were re-generated during the containerization, will be
> fixed by: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549600/
> 2) Neutron DB name was different in instack-undercloud. DB will be
> renamed by https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549609/
> 3) Upgrade logic will live in tripleoclient:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549624/ (note that it's small)
>
> ## Testing
>
> I'm using https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549611/ for testing but I'm
> also deploying in my local environment. I've been upgrading Pike to
> Queens successfully, when applying my patches.
>
> ## Roadmap
>
> I would like us to solve the containerized undercloud upgrade case by
> rocky-m1, and have by the end of m1 a CI job that actually test the
> operator workflow.
>

> I'll need some feedback, reviews on the proposal & reviews.
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Emilien Macchi

Best regards,