[openstack-dev] [tripleo] upgrading to a containerized undercloud

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Sun Mar 4 21:29:58 UTC 2018

The use case that I'm working on right now is the following:

  As an operator, I would like to upgrade my non-containerized undercloud
running on Queens to a containerized undercloud running on Rocky.
  Also, I would like to maintain the exact same command to upgrade my
undercloud, which is: openstack undercloud upgrade (with --use-heat to
containerize it).

The work has been tracked here:
https://trello.com/c/nFbky9Uk/5-upgrade-support-from-instack-undercloud

But here's an update and some open discussion before we continue to make
progress.

## Workflow

This is what I've found the easiest to implement and maintain:

1) Update python-tripleoclient-* and tripleo-heat-templates.
2) Run openstack overcloud container prepare.
3) Run openstack undercloud upgrade --use-heat, that underneath will: stop
non-containerized services, upgrade all packages & dependencies and deploy
a containerized undercloud.

Note: the data isn't touched, so when the upgrade is done, the undercloud
is just upgraded to Rocky, and containerized.

## Blockers encountered

1) Passwords were re-generated during the containerization, will be fixed
by: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549600/
2) Neutron DB name was different in instack-undercloud. DB will be renamed
by https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549609/
3) Upgrade logic will live in tripleoclient:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549624/ (note that it's small)

## Testing

I'm using https://review.openstack.org/#/c/549611/ for testing but I'm also
deploying in my local environment. I've been upgrading Pike to Queens
successfully, when applying my patches.

## Roadmap

I would like us to solve the containerized undercloud upgrade case by
rocky-m1, and have by the end of m1 a CI job that actually test the
operator workflow.

I'll need some feedback, reviews on the proposal & reviews.
Thanks in advance,
--
Emilien Macchi