[openstack-dev] [heat][tacker][heat-translator] deliverables of heat-translator library

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 17:38:36 UTC 2018

On 20/06/18 12:38, HADDLETON, Robert W (Bob) wrote:
> The Tacker team is dependent on tosca-parser and heat-translator but
> they are not the only consumers.
>
> I agree the structure is odd, and Sahdev has more of the history than I do.

History lesson:

At the time (2014) OpenStack was organised into 'Programs', that could
contain multiple projects. It seemed to make sense to bring
heat-translator into the Orchestration Program. It had its own PTL
(Sahdev) and its own core team (although Heat cores from the time still
have +2 rights on it), and operated essentially independently.

There were discussions about eventually combining it with heatclient or
even Heat itself once it was mature, but that hasn't come up in quite a
while and there are no resources available to work on it now anyway.

When we scrapped 'Programs', it just got converted to a deliverable of
the Heat project, instead of its own separate project. In practice,
however, nothing actually changed and it kept its own (technically
unofficial, I think) PTL and operated independently. That's the source
of the weirdness.

Since then the number of core reviewers has dropped considerably and
people have difficulty getting patches in and releases made. Most of the
people bugging me about that have been from Tacker, hence the suggestion
to move the project over there: since they are the biggest users they
could help maintain it.

> In the past the requests from the Tacker team have come to Sahdev/me and
> we have created
> releases as needed.  For some reason this time a request went to the
> Heat ML, in addition to
> a separate request to me directly.
>
> I'm open to changes in the structure but I don't think Tacker is the
> right place to put the
> deliverables.

What would you suggest?

cheers,