[openstack-dev] [infra][nova] Running NFV tests in CI

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Jul 24 16:30:00 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018, at 9:23 AM, Artom Lifshitz wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> tl;dr Humbly requesting a handful of nodes to run NFV tests in CI
>
> Intel has their NFV tests tempest plugin [1] and manages a third party
> CI for Nova. Two of the cores on that project (Stephen Finucane and
> Sean Mooney) have now moved to Red Hat, but the point still stands
> that there's a need and a use case for testing things like NUMA
> topologies, CPU pinning and hugepages.
>
> At Red Hat, we also have a similar tempest plugin project [2] that we
> use for downstream whitebox testing. The scope is a bit bigger than
> just NFV, but the main use case is still testing NFV code in an
> automated way.
>
> Given that there's a clear need for this sort of whitebox testing, I
> would like to humbly request a handful of nodes (in the 3 to 5 range)
> from infra to run an "official" Nova NFV CI. The code doing the
> testing would initially be the current Intel plugin, bug we could have
> a separate discussion about keeping "Intel" in the name or forking
> and/or renaming it to something more vendor-neutral.

The way you request nodes from Infra is through your Zuul configuration. Add jobs to a project to run tests on the node labels that you want.

I'm guessing this process doesn't work for NFV tests because you have specific hardware requirements that are not met by our current VM resources? If that is the case it would probably be best to start by documenting what is required and where the existing VM resources fall short. In general though we operate on top of donated cloud resources, and if those do not work we will have to identify a source of resources that would work.