[openstack-dev] [infra][nova] Running NFV tests in CI

Artom Lifshitz alifshit at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 16:23:44 UTC 2018

Hey all,

tl;dr Humbly requesting a handful of nodes to run NFV tests in CI

Intel has their NFV tests tempest plugin [1] and manages a third party
CI for Nova. Two of the cores on that project (Stephen Finucane and
Sean Mooney) have now moved to Red Hat, but the point still stands
that there's a need and a use case for testing things like NUMA
topologies, CPU pinning and hugepages.

At Red Hat, we also have a similar tempest plugin project [2] that we
use for downstream whitebox testing. The scope is a bit bigger than
just NFV, but the main use case is still testing NFV code in an
automated way.

Given that there's a clear need for this sort of whitebox testing, I
would like to humbly request a handful of nodes (in the 3 to 5 range)
from infra to run an "official" Nova NFV CI. The code doing the
testing would initially be the current Intel plugin, bug we could have
a separate discussion about keeping "Intel" in the name or forking
and/or renaming it to something more vendor-neutral.

I won't be at PTG (conflict with personal travel), so I'm kindly
asking Stephen and Sean to represent this idea in Denver.

Cheers!

[1] https://github.com/openstack/intel-nfv-ci-tests
[2] https://review.rdoproject.org/r/#/admin/projects/openstack/whitebox-tempest-plugin