[openstack-dev] Disk space requirement - any way to lower it a little?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 16:55:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 05:30:27PM +0200, Cédric Jeanneret wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While trying to get a new validation¹ in the undercloud preflight
> checks, I hit an (not so) unexpected issue with the CI:
> it doesn't provide flavors with the minimal requirements, at least
> regarding the disk space.
>
> A quick-fix is to disable the validations in the CI - Wes has already
> pushed a patch for that in the upstream CI:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/583275/
> We can consider this as a quick'n'temporary fix².
>
> The issue is on the RDO CI: apparently, they provide instances with
> "only" 55G of free space, making the checks fail:
> https://logs.rdoproject.org/17/582917/3/openstack-check/legacy-tripleo-ci-centos-7-ovb-3ctlr_1comp-featureset001-master/c9cf398/logs/undercloud/home/zuul/undercloud_install.log.txt.gz#_2018-07-17_10_23_46
>
> So, the question is: would it be possible to lower the requirment to,
> let's say, 50G? Where does that 60G³ come from?
>
> Thanks for your help/feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>
> C.
>

> ¹ https://review.openstack.org/#/c/582917/
>
> ² as you might know, there's a BP for a unified validation framework,
> and it will allow to get injected configuration in CI env in order to
> lower the requirements if necessary:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/validation-framework
>
> ³
> http://tripleo.org/install/environments/baremetal.html#minimum-system-requirements

Keep in mind, upstream we don't really have control over partitions of nodes, in
some case it is a single, other multiple. I'd suggest looking more at:

  https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/testing.html

As for downstream RDO, the same is going to apply once we start adding more
cloud providers. I would look to see if you actually need that much space for
deployments, and make try to mock the testing of that logic.

- Paul