[openstack-dev] [barbican] Can we support key wrapping mechanisms other than CKM_AES_CBC_PAD?

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 00:54:20 UTC 2018

Hi Barbican guys,

Currently, I am testing the integration between Barbican and SoftHSM v2 but
I met with a problem that SoftHSM v2 doesn't support CKM_AES_CBC_PAD key
wrapping operation which is hardcoded in Barbican code here
https://github.com/openstack/barbican/blob/5dea5cec130b59ecfb8d46435cd7eb3212894b4c/barbican/plugin/crypto/pkcs11.py#L496.
After discussion with SoftHSM team, I was told SoftHSM does support other
mechanisms such as CKM_AES_KEY_WRAP, CKM_AES_KEY_WRAP_PAD, CKM_RSA_PKCS, or
CKM_RSA_PKCS_OAEP.

My question is, is it easy to support other wrapping mechanisms in
Barbican? Or if there is another workaround this problem?

Cheers,
Lingxian Kong