[openstack-dev] [sqlalchemy][db][oslo.db][mistral] Is there a recommended MySQL driver for OpenStack projects?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jul 3 12:08:04 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-03 18:33:44 +0700 (+0700), Renat Akhmerov wrote:
[...]
> So, I’m trying to understand if we have a “community recommended”
> (or may be even mandatory) Mysql driver to use and what
> consequences of the driver choice are. I’d appreciate any help
> with clarifying this (may be links to some previous discussions
> etc.)
[...]

There was a concerted effort around the first half of 2015 (prior to
TC cycle goals or it probably would have been one) in which most
projects switched to pymysql by default because mysql-python lacked
Py3k support. Another significant up-side to pymysql is that it was
implemented in pure Python rather than being a wrapper around
libmysql, so simpler for dependency management. There was initially
some concern that it would underperform, but subsequent benchmarking
showed it not to be an issue in reality.

    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation

--
Jeremy Stanley