[openstack-dev] [sqlalchemy][db][oslo.db][mistral] Is there a recommended MySQL driver for OpenStack projects?

Renat Akhmerov renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 11:33:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

We’ve tried to address the bug [1] which is essentially caused by the fact that we saw that MySQLDb driver wasn’t compatible with eventlet’s green threads. In a nutshell, when we used the “eventlet” RPC executor (see [2]), the system would get stuck once in a while when dispatching green between green threads when it tried to hit Mysql, but since the driver wasn’t eventlet friendly it didn’t work. For that reason we had to use the “blocking” RPC executor so far for Mistral Engine that deals with DB transactions.

Now, I am back to experiment with all this and see if we can actually switch to “eventlet” like most other project do. So far, it seems like the problem is gone in case if I’m using Pymysql driver (didn’t yet try other drivers like mysqlclient and the official mysql connector from Oracle). Previously, at least in production we always used MySQLDb on Python 2.7.

So, I’m trying to understand if we have a “community recommended” (or may be even mandatory) Mysql driver to use and what consequences of the driver choice are. I’d appreciate any help with clarifying this (may be links to some previous discussions etc.)

Thanks

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mistral/+bug/1696469
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/oslo.messaging/ocata/executors.html#eventlet

Renat Akhmerov