[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Clarifying testing recommendation for interop programs

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 15:29:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 12:59 PM Erno Kuvaja <ekuvaja at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > and political
> > reasons we have for why different projects have tests in different
> places -
> > review bandwidth of the QA team, ownership/control by the project teams,
> > technical interdependency between certain projects, or otherwise.
> >
> As someone who has been in middle of all that already once I'd like to
> bring up bit more fundamental problem into this topic. I'm not able to
> provide one size fits all solution but hopefully some insight that
> would help the community to make the right decision.
>
> I think the biggest problem is who's fox is let to guard the chicken coop.
>
> By that I mean the basic problem of our testing still relies on what
> is tested based on which assumptions and by whom. If the tests are
> provided by the project teams, the test is more likely to cover the
> intended usecase of the feature as it's implemented and if there is
> bug found on that, the likelyhood that the test is altered is quite
> high also the individual projects might not have the best idea what
> might be the important things to the interoperability and trademark
> purposes. Obviously when the test is written against intended behavior
> it's less likely but also those changes might sneak in affecting the
> interoprability. On the other hand if the test is written by
> QA/interoperability people, is it actually testing the right thing and
> is there more fundamental need to break it due to the fact that
> instead of catching and reporting the bug when the test is written, we
> start enforcing it. Are the tests written based on the intended
> behavior, documented behavior or the current actual behavior? And the
> biggest question of them all is who is going to have the bandwidth to
> understand the depth of the projects and their ties between to ensure
> we minimize the above?
>
> In perfect world all features are bug free, rational to use and well
> documented so that anyone can easily write a test that can be ran
> against any version to verify that we do not have regressions. We just
> are not living in that perfect world and each of the options are risky
> to cause conflicts.
>
> I think the optimal solution if we were introducing this as new fresh
> concept would be using tempest as engine to run trademark test plugins
> from their own repo and those plugins would be provided in
> collaboration between the trademark group as what are the
> functionalities tested, QA to ensure that the tests actually verify
> what they should be testing and the project teams ensuring that the
> tested feature is a) behaving and b) tested as it's intended to work
> and documentation is aligned with that, where the faults on any 3
> could be rectified before enforcing. Unfortunately I do not see us as
> the community having the resources to this "the right way" and I have
> really hard time trying to decide which of the proposed options would

Why not? So far interoperability testing has been a shared effort between
project, QA and interop team.

For a project to be part of an interoperability program there must be
resources allocated to writing / maintaining interop tests. If they are not
avaiable the interop program won't be very successful.

andreaf