[openstack-dev] Notification update week 3

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Jan 15 14:29:38 UTC 2018

Hi,

Here is the status update / focus settings mail for 2018 w3.

Bugs
----
[High]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1742935TestServiceUpdateNotificationSample
fails intermittently: u'host2' != u'host1': path:
root.payload.nova_object.data.host
The openstack-tox-functional (and functional-py35) test environment was
totally broken during last Friday. Sorry for that. The patch that
caused the break has been reverted
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533190/
A follow up bug has been opened (see next) to avoid similar break in
the future.

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1742962 nova functional
test does not triggered on notification sample only changes
During the zuul v3 migration the project-config generated based on the
zuul v2 jobs. It contained a proper definition of when nova wants to
trigger the functional job. Unfortunately this job definition does not
override the openstack-tox-functional job definition from the
openstack-zuul-jobs repo. This caused that the openstack-tox-functional
(and functional-py35) jobs were not triggered for certain commits. The
fix is to create a nova specific tox-functional job in tree. Patches
has been proposed:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533210/ Make sure that functional
test triggered on sample changes
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533608/ Moving nova functional test
def to in tree
In general we have to review all nova jobs in the project-config and
move those in-tree that try to override parameters of the job
definitions in openstack-zuul-jobs repo.

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1737201 TypeError when
sending notification during attach_interface
Fix merged to master. Backports have been proposed:
* Pike: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/531745/
* Queens: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/531746/

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1739325 Server operations
fail to complete with versioned notifications if payload contains unset
non-nullable fields
Patch has been proposed: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/529194/
Dan left feedback on it and I accept his comment that this is mostly
papering over a problem that we don't fully understand how can happen
in the first place. In the other hand I don't know how can we figure
out what happend. So if somebody has an idea then don't hesistate to
tell me.

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1742688
test_live_migration_actions notification sample test fails
intermittently with 'notification
instance.live_migration_rollback.start hasn't been received'
It seems that test execution in CI is a lot slower than before and it
makes the 1 second timeout in the notification test too small. Fix is
on the gate: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/532816

[Low] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1487038
nova.exception._cleanse_dict should use
oslo_utils.strutils._SANITIZE_KEYS
Old abandoned patches exist but need somebody to pick them up:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/215308/
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/388345/

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
Here are the patches ready to review:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/385644 Transform rescue/unrescue
instance notifications
Needs only a second +2
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/403660 Transform instance.exists
notification
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/410297 Transform missing delete
notifications
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476459 Send soft_delete from context
manager

Introduce instance.lock and instance.unlock notifications
A specless bp has been proposed to the Rocky cycle
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/trigger-notifications-when-lock-unlock-instances
Some preliminary discussion happened in an earlier patch
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/526251/

Add the user id and project id of the user initiated the instance
action to the notification
A new bp has been proposed
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-action-initiator-to-instance-action-notifications
As the user who initiates the instance action (e.g. reboot) could be
different from the user owning the instance it would make sense to
include the user_id and project_id of the action initiatior to the
versioned instance action notifications as well.

Factor out duplicated notification sample
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:refactor-notification-samples+status:open
We have to be carefull to approve these type of commits until the
solution for https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1742962 merged as
functional tests could be broken silently.

Weekly meeting
There will not be a meeting this week. The next meeting will be held on
23th of January.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20180123T170000

Cheers,
gibi