[openstack-dev] [storyboard] need help figuring out how to use auth with storyboard client

Adam Coldrick adam.coldrick at codethink.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 11:26:14 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 21:30 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-01-12 15:57:44 -0500 (-0500), Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > The storyboard client docs mention an "access token" [1] as
> > something
> > a client needs in order to create stories and make other sorts of
> > changes.  They don't explain what that token is or how to get one,
> > though.
> >
> > Where do I get a token? How long does the token work? Can I safely
> > put a token in a configuration file, or do I need to get a new one
> > each time I want to do something with the client?
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/infra/storyboard/webapi/v1.html#api
> suggests that logging in and going to
> https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/profile/tokens will allow you to
> issue one (with up to a 10-year expiration based on my modest
> experimentation). I believe this to be the same solution we're using
> to grant teh storyboard-its Gerrit plugin to update tasks/stories
> from review.openstack.org.

This is likely the easiest solution. Some other options:

- Admin users can issue tokens for any users, so an automation user
  could have a token granted by infra-root using the API directly (see
  the API docs[0] for detail).

- Add some functionality in python-storyboardclient to handle
  authenticating with the OpenID provider that the API sends a
  redirect link for.

[0]: https://docs.openstack.org/infra/storyboard/webapi/v1.html#post--v
1-users--user_id--tokens