[openstack-dev] [QA][all] Migration of Tempest / Grenade jobs to Zuul v3 native

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Fri Feb 16 01:11:19 UTC 2018

Andrea Frittoli <andrea.frittoli at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> this is the first or a series of ~regular updates on the migration of
> Tempest / Grenade jobs to  Zuul v3 native.
>
> The QA team together with the infra team are working on providing the
> OpenStack community with a set of base Tempest / Grenade jobs that can be
> used as a basis to write new CI jobs / migrate existing legacy ones with a
> minimal effort and very little or no Ansible knowledge as a precondition.
>
> The effort is tracked in an etherpad [0]; I'm trying to keep the
> etherpad up to date but it may not always be a source of truth.

Thanks!

One other issue we noticed when using the new job is related to devstack
plugin ordering.  We're trying to design an interface to the job that
makes it easy to take the standard devstack and/or tempest job and add
in a plugin for a project.  This should greatly reduce the boilerplate
needed for new devstack jobs compared to Zuul v2.  However, our
interface for enabling plugins in Zuul is not ordered, but sometimes
ordering is important.

To address this, we've added a feature to devstack plugins which allow
them to express a dependency on other plugins.  Nothing else but Zuul
uses this right now, though we expand support for this in devstack in
the future.

If you maintain a devstack plugin which depends on another devstack
plugin, you can go ahead and indicate that with "plugin_requires" in the
settings file.  See [1] for more details.

We also need to land a change to the role that writes the devstack
config in order to use this new feature; it's ready for review in [2].

-Jim

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/devstack/latest/plugins.html#plugin-interface
[2] https://review.openstack.org/522054