[openstack-dev] [QA][all] Migration of Tempest / Grenade jobs to Zuul v3 native

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 23:31:02 UTC 2018

Dear all,

this is the first or a series of ~regular updates on the migration of
Tempest / Grenade jobs to  Zuul v3 native.

The QA team together with the infra team are working on providing the
OpenStack community with a set of base Tempest / Grenade jobs that can be
used as a basis to write new CI jobs / migrate existing legacy ones with a
minimal effort and very little or no Ansible knowledge as a precondition.

The effort is tracked in an etherpad [0]; I'm trying to keep the
etherpad up to date but it may not always be a source of truth.

Useful jobs available so far:
- devstack-tempest [0] is a simple tempest/devstack job that runs keystone
glance nova cinder neutron swift and tempest *smoke* filter
- tempest-full [1] is similar but runs a full test run - it replaces the
legacy tempest-dsvm-neutron-full from the integrated gate
- tempest-full-py3 [2] runs a full test run on python3 - it replaces the
legacy tempest-dsvm-py35

Both tempest-full and tempest-full-py3 are part of integrated-gate
templates, starting from stable/queens on.
The other stable branches still run the legacy jobs, since devstack ansible
changes have not been backported (yet). If we do backport it will be up to
pike maximum.

Those jobs work in single node mode only at the moment. Enabling multinode
via job configuration only require a new Zuul feature [4][5] that should be
available soon; the new feature allows defining host/group variables in the
job definition, which means setting variables which are specific to one
host or a group of hosts.
Multinode DVR and Ironic jobs will require migration of the ovs-* roles
form devstack-gate to devstack as well.

Grenade jobs (single and multinode) are still legacy, even if the *legacy*
word has been removed from the name.
They are currently temporarily hosted in the neutron repository. They are
going to be implemented as Zuul v3 native in the grenade repository.

Roles are documented, and a couple of migration tips for DEVSTACK_GATE
flags is available in the etherpad [0]; more comprehensive examples /
docs will be available as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you find this update useful and / or if you would
like to see different information in it.
I will send further updates as soon as significant changes / new features
become available.

Andrea Frittoli (andreaf)

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/zuulv3-native-devstack-tempest-jobs
[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tempest/tree/.zuul.yaml#n1