[openstack-dev] [Election] Process Tweaks

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 19:09:41 UTC 2018

Hello Everyone,

Over the last few elections, with changes to the election cycle (i.e. the
separation of PTL and TC elections not being back to back), the scripts in
place have become somewhat outdated and brittle.

A few days ago after fixing a number of candidates names in an exceptions
file[1] due to incorrect information given to the docs build by a gerrit
lookup function, we had a conversation about how to fix this and other
issues. The lengthy discussion expanded from how to improve the processes
for both generation of the governance docs with correct candidate names to
the validation of candidates when nominations are posted to Gerrit.

Basically, we are proposing several changes to the scripts that exist and
changes to how nominations are submitted.

1. Uncouple the TC and PTL election processes. Make changes to our tooling
to validate PTL candidates and make those separate from the changes to
validate TC candidates.

2. Change the how-to-submit-candidacy directions to require the candidate's
email address (matching in Gerrit and foundation member profile) as the
file name of their nomination. All other info (name, IRC nick, etc.) should
be set in the foundation member profile. This could also mean a
reformatting the nomination submission altoghether to be YAML or JSON (open
for debate).

3. Create separate jobs for both docs build and candidate validation (and
run separate validation functions for TC elections versus PTL elections).

Please feel free to raise comments, concerns, or better ideas!

The plan is to schedule time at the PTG to start hacking on some of these
items so feedback before then would be fantastic!

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Election Officials

1: http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/election/tree/exceptions.txt