[openstack-dev] [Election] Process Tweaks

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Feb 15 19:27:47 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-15 02:09 PM, Kendall Nelson wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Over the last few elections, with changes to the election cycle (i.e. the
> separation of PTL and TC elections not being back to back), the scripts in
> place have become somewhat outdated and brittle.
>
> A few days ago after fixing a number of candidates names in an exceptions
> file[1] due to incorrect information given to the docs build by a gerrit
> lookup function, we had a conversation about how to fix this and other
> issues. The lengthy discussion expanded from how to improve the processes
> for both generation of the governance docs with correct candidate names to
> the validation of candidates when nominations are posted to Gerrit.
>
> Basically, we are proposing several changes to the scripts that exist and
> changes to how nominations are submitted.
>
> 1. Uncouple the TC and PTL election processes. Make changes to our tooling
> to validate PTL candidates and make those separate from the changes to
> validate TC candidates.
>
> 2. Change the how-to-submit-candidacy directions to require the candidate's
> email address (matching in Gerrit and foundation member profile) as the
> file name of their nomination. All other info (name, IRC nick, etc.) should
> be set in the foundation member profile. This could also mean a
> reformatting the nomination submission altoghether to be YAML or JSON (open
> for debate).
>
> 3. Create separate jobs for both docs build and candidate validation (and
> run separate validation functions for TC elections versus PTL elections).
>
> Please feel free to raise comments, concerns, or better ideas!

Please ensure that all who nominate themselves know that the process is
meant as a means of communication not as a blockade to standing for
nomination. That the process of nominating themselves has a back up
solution, for example the low tech send-an-email-to-dev, should
something untoward happen whilst they are working through the automated
process in order to meet the deadline.

Technical glitches and failures do happen and should be acknowledged as
such, not allowing them to prevent someone from standing should they
wish to stand.

Thanks,
Anita.