[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Aug 21 20:55:26 UTC 2018

On 08/21/2018 01:53 PM, melanie witt wrote:

> Given all of that, I'm not seeing how *now* is a good time to separate the
> placement project under separate governance with separate goals and priorities.
> If operators need things for compute, that are well-known and that placement was
> created to solve, how will placement have a shared interest in solving compute
> problems, if it is not part of the compute project?

As someone who is not involved in the governance of nova, this seems like kind
of an odd statement for an open-source project.

 From the outside, it seems like there is a fairly small pool of active
placement developers.  And either the placement developers are willing to
implement the capabilities desired by compute or else they're not.  And if
they're not, I don't see how being under compute governance would resolve that
since the only official hard leverage the compute governance has is refusing to
review/merge placement patches (which wouldn't really help implement compute's
desires anyways).

Chris