[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 14:05:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 11:03:43AM -0700, melanie witt wrote:

[...]

[Randomly jumping in on one specific point.]

> Aside from that, it has always been difficult to add folks to
> nova-core because of the large scope and expertise needed to approve
> code across all of Nova.

The complexity of Nova, and the amount of context one needs to keep in
their head will only _keep_ increasing.  Thus, that "difficult to add
folks" becomes a self-perpetuating problem.

And as we know, not every Nova contributor would want to learn the
_whole_ of Nova — so, for the vanishingly small portion of people who
might want to learn "all of Nova", it will be an uphill battle where the
hill is only going to get steeper.  Some people spend all of their time
on specific subsystems of Nova (scheduler, virt drivers, etc); yet
others work on unrelated projects (that don't overlap with OpenStack,
but are "critical dependencies" for Nova and OpenStack) and thus have
limited time for Nova, and so forth.

This reminds me of the highly articulate thread[1] from Dan Berrangé in
2014.  It would be educating to see how we stand today, in relation to
the points raised in that thread, after four years.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/044872.html

[...]

--
/kashyap