[openstack-dev] [nova] Rocky blueprint burndown chart

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:47:45 UTC 2018

Howdy everyone,

Keeping with the tradition of Matt's burndown charts from previous
cycles [1][2], I have a burndown chart for the Rocky cycle [3] to share
with you. Apologies for the gap in the data -- I had an issue keeping up
with the count for that time period. I also focused on only Approved vs
Completed counts this time. And finally, there are overlapping labels
for "Spec Review Sprint" on June 5 and "r-2, spec freeze" on June 7 that
are hard to read, and I didn't find a way to adjust their position in
google sheets.

Comparing final numbers to Queens
---------------------------------
Max approved for Queens: 53
Max approved for Rocky: 72
Final completed for Queens: 42
Final completed for Rocky: 59

Our completion percentage of approved blueprints in Queens was 79.2% and
in Rocky it was 81.9%. We approved far more blueprints in Rocky than we
did in Queens, but the completion rate was similar.

With runways, we were looking to increase our completion percentage by
focusing on reviewing the same approved things at the same time but we
simultaneously were more ambitious with what we approved. So we ended up
with a similar completion percentage. This doesn't seem like a bad thing
in that, we completed more blueprints than we did last cycle (and
presumably got more done overall), but we're still having trouble with
our approval rate of blueprints that we can realistically finish in one
cycle.

I think part of the miss on the number of approvals might be because we
extended the spec freeze date to milestone r-2 because of runways,
thinking that if we completed enough things, we could approve more
things. We didn't predict that accurately but with the experience, my
hope is we can do better in Stein. We could consider moving spec freeze
back to milestone s-1 or have rough criteria on whether to approve more
blueprints close to s-2 (for example, if 30%? of approved blueprints
have been completed, OK to approve more).

If you have feedback or thoughts on any of this, feel free to reply to
this thread or add your comments to the Rocky retrospective etherpad [4]
and we can discuss at the PTG.

Cheers,
-melanie

[1]