[openstack-dev] [tripleo] ansible roles in tripleo

Jill Rouleau jillr at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 17:51:53 UTC 2018

Hey folks,

Like Alex mentioned[0] earlier, we've created a bunch of ansible roles
for tripleo specific bits.  The idea is to start putting some basic
cookiecutter type things in them to get things started, then move some
low-hanging fruit out of tripleo-heat-templates and into the appropriate
roles.  For example, docker/services/keystone.yaml could have
upgrade_tasks and fast_forward_upgrade_tasks moved into ansible-role-
tripleo-keystone/tasks/(upgrade.yml|fast_forward_upgrade.yml), and the
t-h-t updated to
include_role: ansible-role-tripleo-keystone
  tasks_from: upgrade.yml
without having to modify any puppet or heat directives.

This would let us define some patterns for implementing these tripleo
roles during Stein while looking at how we can make use of ansible for
things like core config.

t-h-t and config-download will still drive the vast majority of playbook
creation for now, but for new playbooks (such as for operations tasks)
tripleo-ansible[1] would be our project directory.

So in addition to the larger conversation about how deployers can start
to standardize how we're all using ansible, I'd like to also have a
tripleo-specific conversation at PTG on how we can break out some of our
ansible that's currently embedded in t-h-t into more modular and
flexible roles.

Cheers,
Jill

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/13311